Smiles 4 Miles - EACH
Smiles 4 Miles is an initiative of Dental Health Services Victoria (DHSV) which works in partnership with EACH to improve the oral health of children, their families, early childhood staff and the wider community.
The program works with parents and the broader preschool community to jointly develop a healthy eating and drinking policy and to focus on the Smiles 4 Miles three key messages:
Drink Well - Drink tap water or plain milk and avoid sugary drinks like cordials, juices and soft drink.
Eat Well - Eat a variety of nutritious foods each day and limit sugary foods, particularly between meals.
Clean Well - Brush teeth twice daily, adults should help children until at least the age of 7.
This program offers:
- Participation in a program which has been developed from the latest evidence for improving children’s oral health.
- Access to educators training.
- Support and advice from DHSV, Victoria’s leading public dental agency.
- Implementation of a program that provides the opportunity to empower both families and children to improve their oral health.
- Early Childhood Services can receive a Smiles 4 Miles award (lasting for two years) which demonstrates their commitment to improving children’s health in the community.
- Linkage with local community dental clinic.
- Opportunity to improve the oral health of children and families.
- Support and guidance to make healthy choices.
- Involvement in the promotion of healthy foods and oral health allows families to help children to develop lifelong healthy habits.
Webpage: Smiles 4 Miles - EACH
Topic: Early years