Tackling Ageism Together: EveryAGE Counts in Melbourne’s East
In 2021 the Inner East Primary Care Partnership (IEPCP) led a campaign to tackle ageism in the Eastern Melbourne Region along with the seven local councils: Boroondara, Knox, Manningham, Maroondah, Monash, Whitehorse and Yarra Ranges.
Ageism is stereotyping, discrimination, and mistreatment based solely on a person’s age. When it is aimed at older people, ageism comes from negative attitudes and beliefs about what it means to be older. It affects people’s self-confidence, quality of life, job prospects, and health.
The campaign aimed to:
- raise awareness about ageism
- challenge stereotypes about what it is to be older
- encourage people to speak up and take action.
The campaign also aimed to celebrate older people as a diverse group who contribute an enormous amount to their communities, families, organisations and economy.
There were many ways for individuals or organisations to be involved:
- Watch the video - Imagine a world without ageism
- Take the ‘Am I Ageist?’ quiz
- Take the pledge to stand for a world without ageism
- Take a photo with your pledge and post it on social media with the hashtags #EndAgeism and #TacklingAgeismTogether
- Speak up and start a conversation when you hear someone being ageist.